Construction of the new Sandford Street light rail stop will continue at the stop location in Mitchell from Thursday, 7 January 2021.
To facilitate the construction, a partial light rail network shutdown will occur from Sunday 10 January to Saturday 23 January 2021 between EPIC & Racecourse and Gungahlin Place stops.
During this shutdown, light rail replacement bus services will operate between Dickson Interchange and Gungahlin Place. These services will be operated by Qcity. Rail replacement bus stops are adjacent to light rail stops between Dickson Interchange and Gungahlin Place. Light rail services will continue to run between Alinga Street and EPIC & Racecourse stops during this time.
Effects on public transport users
- There will be no light rail services operating between Gungahlin Place and EPIC & Racecourse stops.
- Rail replacement bus services will be servicing all rail replacement bus stops between Gungahlin Place and Dickson Interchange. Passengers are encouraged to transfer at Dickson interchange where possible.
- Rail replacement buses will:
- depart from Platform 3 – Gungahlin Place
- depart from Platform 2 – Dickson Interchange
- operate to a higher frequency compared to the normal light rail frequency with buses running every 3-15 minutes.
- Customers are encouraged to plan ahead and to allow extra time to travel during this period.
- Customers will be required to use designated rail replacement bus stops located near each stop along Flemington Road and Federal Highway.
- Customers will not be required to tap on and off when entering and exiting Qcity rail replacement bus services.
- Light rail services will continue to operate to the normal frequency between EPIC & Racecourse and Alinga Street for the duration of these works. Customers will be required to tap on and off these services.
Advice for customers travelling within inner north area (between Dickson and EPIC & Racecourse)
- Passengers travelling between Dickson Interchange, Swinden Street, Phillip Avenue and EPIC & Racecourse can continue to travel on light rail, or they can use the rail replacement bus services if they are travelling north of EPIC.
Advice for customers travelling into Gungahlin area (between Dickson Gungahlin Place)
- Passengers travelling into the Gungahlin area are encouraged to transfer to a rail replacement bus service at Dickson interchange. Rail replacement buses will depart from Platform 2, Dickson Interchange.
EPIC Park & Ride
- The EPIC Park & Ride will remain operational for the duration of the works and passengers can transfer from here onto light rail services travelling to the city.
Effects on traffic
- Motorists will not be able to turn right into Morisett Road from Flemington Road.
- One lane will be closed in each direction on Flemington Road near the Sandford Street intersection.
- The speed limit on Flemington Road will be reduced to 40km/h adjacent to the construction site.
- Access to bicycle paths and on road cycling will be maintained during construction.
- All pedestrian access will be maintained, noting that the signalised pedestrian crossing located at the southern end of the Flemington Road and Sandford Street/Morisset Road intersection will be detoured to the northern signalised pedestrian crossing until mid-year 2021.
There will be additional wayfinding signage and CMET Customer Service Officers on the light rail network to assist customers.
For more information visit www.transport.act.gov.au or call Access Canberra on 13 22 81.